Monday, October 1, 2012

Pit Stop

Pit Stop

  One of my favorite shows is Amazing Race. If you have not seen it, it has people traveling all over the globe in search of clues and challenges that get them to the next stop or “ Pit Stop” as they call it. The pit stop is where you reached your destined area and now stop and rest till you head back out. It also gives you a chance to reflect on what you did to get to this point. The places and people that you saw and met along the way.  This is important in the journey with God as well. 

       We need to also do these “Pit Stops” in our faith race. It is important to see where you were and where you are today. It is a good way to see what is working and is not. This way you can adjust what you need to and focus on what is working for you. You will have some highs and lows but that is to be expected. It is life and bumps and pot holes will come along the way. Maybe do a pit stop about once a month and have a set date in mind. Let’s say every last day of the month or first day you do a evaluation as to where you are. You also need to relax and not be so hard on yourself at this time. As I would say be real, be honest, and be you. Do not compare others to yourself. This is your pit stop, not theirs. Also do not just focus on the negatives of the month but see the good first and foremost. Being honest does not mean be critical and judgmental on yourself. Take the month as is and do not dissect it to see what was lost but what was received. 

        See how you are doing and set some goals for yourself even to meet before the next pit stop. For example if you read the bible 2 times this month maybe try for 4 next month. You were able to do morning prayers this month, maybe try and add some night prayers as well. Be realistic in your goals. Do not set them so high that you can not do it.  For example do not say ok this month I said prayers or talked to God 10 times so next month I will talk to God every hour and say 200 Our Fathers. Hey, if you can do that then more power to you and please tell me your way to do it.  When you set realistic goals for yourself and you accomplish them you will feel you can do more. Let’s say you don’t meet your “pit stop” goal, do not give up. See why you didn’t and set the goal again. Continue on by thinking of Jesus carrying the cross and how He fell during it. He got back up and carried on. 

         A great way to see where you were and where you are now is by keeping a journal. I can not stress that enough. It does not need to be a long 3 page report each day but a sentence or two on what you did that day and how you felt. It can be a very simple thing or as complex as you feel you can do. A friend and I did this during lent one year. We would say what we did that week and we would help each other on different things to try for the next week. If you can find someone to do the “pit stops” with you, it would be great. One very important thing if you are doing this with someone, do not judge what they did or did not do. My friend and I, did not judge each other but affirmed each other in what we did. This is important. Remember Jesus also had Hid disciples with Him along the way. 

           The blog  for me has become part of my journal. This is now my 32nd post and I can not believe it is that number already. I am able to look back at this past month and see what I felt and thought along the way. Some things I look at and I think was the really me that day, or wow I needed an extra shot of Jesus that day, and even days where I can say I am blessed. I have received a lot of blessings, knowledge and peace from doing this and I know I want to continue on and challenge myself to get to the next level. Today was my “ pit stop” and I am happy where I am today and  blessed to be where I am right at this moment. 

           Take the time and see where you came from. You may be shocked to find that you are further then you thought you would be. It is important to do this so we can reap in what we sowed the past month. When we are reaping what we sowed we are gaining more positive spiritual energy to get us to the next pit stop. 


Until tomorrow, God Bless, and sit back, relax,  and see what you have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment