Monday, April 29, 2013

Quote of St. Augustine


Quote of St. Augustine


"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."
 ~ St. Augustine


   I read this quote the other day and I must say it has been playing over and over in my head. I must say that I know at time I have down played some messages of the Gospels because they did not fit the life that I was looking to live or those that made me feel less justified in my actions. In that sense I was rejecting some of the messages of Jesus and making my opinions greater then His messages.

    In the world we live in today we are taught to question, demand proof, take what you want and leave the rest. When we adhere to the voices of the world and allow them to make us question what is true, then we risk our faith. Now, I am not saying that questioning is wrong because it is in questioning we can go further but those questions should come from our soul and not those of the world. 

   Saint Augustine’s quote calls us into question wether we are believing in ourselves more then the gospels. Every so often I feel we do need this kind of check in our lives. Who are we believing in ? and who is it that our trust is in? I am not saying that we can not believe in ourselves or that we can not have faith in ourselves but when our own beliefs start to cast  shadows on those of Jesus then we are heading down a dark area. 

   Think about this quote and reflect on it for a while today and see if the messages of the Gospels ,as a whole,are what you believe in or just what you want to believe in them.

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and may the Gospels Message increase your faith in Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment