Friday, October 25, 2013

"Who We Choose to Be"

"Who We Choose to Be"


    One of my favorite movies is “Spider Man” and I wrote a blog about a quote from that movie (“With great power comes great responsibility”) and now I would like to quote another from that movie, “ We are who we choose to be”, said by the Green Goblin. It is a simple and true quote, yet, many people like to shift that a little and take some of that pressure off themselves. 

       I am the person I am as I sit here and write this blog not because someone made me be the way I am but because this is how I choose to be at this moment in time. Of course, experiences and people may help shape who I am but it is because I allow it to be. Both the bad and good things in my life can change things, but it is because I allow them to be, in either a positive or negative way. It is the same with our relationship with God and the Church.

       God allows us to choose the person we are in this world and who we are as He looks down at us from Heaven. There are no strings attached to our bodies so He can control us. We know this as “Free Will”. We can be as close or far from God as we choose. But, I must say it is more then a simple choice but an on going choice. We have to choose to do better each day. It is an on going journey to God and with that journey comes times when we choose to stay the course or fall by the side. 

        Circumstances in our lives may not always be our choice but how we let them affect us is. Our past can either be an anchor or a catapult for our future. Everyone has things in their lives that can hold them down. Yet, people still move on and do great things. I know for myself there were times that I just wanted to throw in the towel, wave that white flag and toss my hands up in the air and say I give up. Each of those times I have looked past the present time and saw a brighter future ahead of me. 

         As I have said in earlier blogs that I am discerning a vocation and it is because I want to choose a life that is not just what I want but something more. I want to be that man that God sees me as and that is who I am choosing to be. God is not going to force my hand but allow me the time to choose the life I live. I do not always make the best choices but what I must always see is that it is I that makes that choice. No one else to blame. 

         We all have to choose who we are and who we are before God. What I may start to do is at the start the day by looking in the mirror and ask myself “Who do I choose to be”... Do I choose to be a man of God or a man of the World? and then at the end of the day, look in the mirror and ask “Did I choose to be a man of God or a man of the World today?...

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and remember “You choose who you are”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment