Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Storm

Storms


  Driving home today I was stopped at a light and I looked up and started to see the storm clouds forming and could not help but think wouldn’t it be great if we could see trouble forming, sin forming, doubt forming, etc.... Most of the time we see the clouds start to turn dark, the wind pick up and shift, so we are able to take shelter or prepare ourselves for what is to come. In areas that are prone to Tornadoes they have sirens that go off and give some warning to take shelter and it is only moments before. You are not able to prepare yet, you do know that you have to take immediate action.

    We need that immediate action when we pray. I know I have my ups and downs with prayer. There are times I am going full force, rosary in hand raised and hand to the heavens praying hard core and then there other times when I just well,,,, do the what i call the trinity of prayers. The top three and call it a day. You know what they are don’t you? The Our Father, Hail Mary and the Glory Be. And to be honest i can say them rather fast.. 

    I know life seems and feels easier when my prayer life is more intense then when its a rush job. I think most of us can say that but yet why does the cycle continue on. My life, Our Lives are too important not to keep that constant burning of prayer in our lives. Think of the times when prayer is way out there? How is your life going? Is it easier of harder? Do you feel connected or lost? 

     When prayer is out there and we have all those feelings we also can delude our selves that life is still ok. Sin is great at making us think life is grand. Sin fills in the gaps and we think its all ok but in reality it is a sticky mess that is holding us together. Not the love of God, Jesus, Holy Spirit or our Faith. That mess of sin allows other things to stick to it as well.... disappointment, sadness, depression, untruths, selfishness... Each gets us more and more away from who we are and who we are to be. It is only with prayer and confession can we refocus and return to the right path. 

     We do not need to prepare for a storm if we are vigilant each and everyday. It would be that constant state of readiness. At this point as I am typing this I am wondering how can we make sure of this and not only be ready but also have drills so we know we are ready. This is something I have kind of been working on.. The drills idea anyway. 
    
      We all can be ready for those storms when we prayer each and everyday. You know the saying “build a house of prayer”. Why would we do that? It is to protect us. No matter what goes on outside we are safe and lets face it, most of time we could not even tell the weather outside unless we are looking out the windows. Storms may rage but the house of prayer keeps us safe.

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and build that house of prayer. 

Memorial of Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus, Virgin and Doctor of the Church
Lectionary: 457
Reading 1
JB 9:1-12, 14-16
Job answered his friends and said:

I know well that it is so;
but how can a man be justified before God?
Should one wish to contend with him,
he could not answer him once in a thousand times.
God is wise in heart and mighty in strength;
who has withstood him and remained unscathed?

He removes the mountains before they know it;
he overturns them in his anger.
He shakes the earth out of its place,
and the pillars beneath it tremble.
He commands the sun, and it rises not;
he seals up the stars.

He alone stretches out the heavens
and treads upon the crests of the sea.
He made the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south;
He does great things past finding out,
marvelous things beyond reckoning.

Should he come near me, I see him not;
should he pass by, I am not aware of him;
Should he seize me forcibly, who can say him nay?
Who can say to him, “What are you doing?”

How much less shall I give him any answer,
or choose out arguments against him!
Even though I were right, I could not answer him,
but should rather beg for what was due me.
If I appealed to him and he answered my call,
I could not believe that he would hearken to my words.
Responsorial Psalm
PS 88:10BC-11, 12-13, 14-15

R. (3) Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
Daily I call upon you, O LORD;
to you I stretch out my hands.
Will you work wonders for the dead?
Will the shades arise to give you thanks?
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
Do they declare your mercy in the grave,
your faithfulness among those who have perished?
Are your wonders made known in the darkness,
or your justice in the land of oblivion?
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
But I, O LORD, cry out to you;
with my morning prayer I wait upon you.
Why, O LORD, do you reject me;
why hide from me your face?
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
Gospel
LK 9:57-62

As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding
on their journey, someone said to him,
“I will follow you wherever you go.”
Jesus answered him,
“Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests,
but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.”
And to another he said, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.”
But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead.
But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God.”
And another said, “I will follow you, Lord,
but first let me say farewell to my family at home.”
Jesus answered him, “No one who sets a hand to the plow
and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.”
Begin MailChimp Signup Form

No comments:

Post a Comment