Sunday, November 11, 2012

Vocation

Vocation

“I, then, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,” ~ Ephesians 4:1


 The word “Vocation” has always meant Priesthood to me, and I guess to any man growing up in the Catholic Church that is the first thought. It is more then being a priest. Yes, it is part of it but there are other areas of vocation in the church.  You can have a vocation to be single, married, consecrated, religious or a priest.  We are all called by God to know, love and serve Him.  It is in our vocations that we do this. 
     I first must say that yes, there was a time that I thought or discerned being a priest. It was years ago and of course I decided at the time that was not what my vocation was to be. As of late I wonder about that decision. I am not saying that I now think my vocation is heading in that direction but just wonder why did I feel it then and who’s voice I listened to, mine or God’s at the time. 
    There is a calling for all of us. God is asking us to do things all the time. It doesn’t mean a vocation but a call to “Action”.  Hearing the call and vocation does go hand and hand at times. Then other times it is just a call to follow Him.  I did feel that “call to action” when it came to starting this blog and not being able to do it these past two weeks made me realize that it strengthens that connection to God in my life. 
    When I get that call, it starts as a spark in my heart and soul and it grows more and more as I answer that call. It is great when I know what He is asking but I must say that I have so many sparks going and I am not sure what they are for yet. Sometimes I think some are for ideas for the blog and then I quickly write the idea down or usually text it to myself to look at later. Then other times I have that feeling, that spark, and I am not sure where it is going or if it will ever turn into that flame. 
    There is this fire in my heart and soul that I want to serve God and bring the word of Jesus to the world but I question if it is what I am to do or is it that I still need to be sitting in the pew for a while longer.  Before I left the church my passion was to bring people into the church. Get those catholics back who left and make it a welcoming experience for them. I still feel that but my seat in the pew is barely warm. 
      I think it is that time in the Church where we really have to be on fire for not only God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit but for the Church as a whole. WE are the church and WE need to be that warmth that people need in a cold world. People will gather around a fire when they are cold. So, why not be on fire for our God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, and our Faith.  When people see and feel that fire, they may just come over and try and get warm and want to keep that fire burning in themselves as well. 
     There is nothing wrong with coming to church each week and sitting in the pew, you are still being a witness to your faith. You are giving that chance of a spark in someone else. I guess I think back to the blog of Hit Hard, Hit Fast or Slow and Steady and still see that I am not that Slow and Steady person. I do not think I ever will be that. 
      It is that call to each of us to know, love, and serve God, but the actions after is what is different for each of us. I look back to the different ministries I have been involved in before the return and I wouldn’t change any of them. I grew from each one of them and learned so much from them. I do feel that pull or spark for ministry life again. 
       I talked about a program I went to that was about God’s dreams for us vs God’s will, I am at the point where I am trying to see if God’s dreams for me is the same dream I have for myself. I know no matter what He will be there for me and with me and whatever I do is not from my own doing but Him guiding me and working in me.  I want to be sure that it is not my own pride or  ego that is driving my dream and that I am doing it to glorify Him. 
        Think about what you are being called to do and work towards that call. It is not just a one time event but an on going part of being a follower of the Trinity. I hope that sparks start to fire up and we all are able to be on fire for our Faith.

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and answer the call, God is waiting to talk to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment