Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Was It Worth the Wait?"

"Was It Worth the Wait?"

Our soul waits for the LORD, he is our help and shield. For in him our hearts rejoice; in his holy name we trust. May your mercy, LORD, be upon us; as we put our hope in you. ~Psalms 33:20-22

    This past weekend at mass a question was asked of me and still a few days later has me still thinking about it and how true it is. Let me first explain what happened. While standing in line for Communion, the Eucharistic Minister was just about out of Eucharist and asked the Priest for some more as He passed by. I stood in front of her waiting to receive with my hands cupped and waited for what had to be no more the a few seconds but seemed forever. After receiving the Eucharist from the Priest she turned and said “ Body of Christ” and I replied “ Amen”. Then she replied back due to the wait and said to me “ Was it worth the wait?’ and I smiled and said “Always”. I walked back to my seat with a smile on my face. 

    You see I must admit that as I waited, I was getting a bit impatient. Not because she needed to get more but because she still had some Eucharist and I wished she waited till after me to ask. When she asked “ Was it worth the wait”, it made me realize so much as I walked back to my seat. 

     My first thought was how it really was worth it for me. Even after returning to the church it took me awhile to receive. Not because I did not want to or that I didn’t believe or I was in sin but because I did not want it to be just another part I was just going with the motions with. I wanted to want to receive again with my heart, mind and soul. I needed that desire for Jesus to enter not just my body but enter my mind, heart and soul. I was not ready when I first came back for that to happen. I remember when I felt it was time. I wanted to receive more then ever before at mass on week but needed to wait to go to confession for it to be able to happen. That next week when I was standing on the communion line, I was so excited. It was like receiving Jesus for the first  time again. It is more then just receiving Jesus in our body but with our whole body, mind, heart and soul. Being in communion with the Church for me is such a driving force. We are all united in the Eucharist, both in Heaven and on Earth. 

     I think at time I have taken the Eucharist for granted. The Eucharist has always been there and unlike other places in the world there is not an issue for us here in the U.S. to be able to attend mass and receive. There is a strength to be gained from the Eucharist and it not only feeds our bodies but our spiritual selves as well. Jesus is there in Body and Blood for us to stand and take within each of us. 

     The second idea that crossed my mind as I sat down was “ How long Jesus waited for me to return to Him and here I was getting a bit annoyed I had to wait for Him.” Jesus never left that spot where I left Him, well thats not true. He still followed me even after saying to Him that He was not to follow me. He waited for me to acknowledge Him there by my side. My few seconds of waiting seemed to take forever, I could not even imagine what it is like for Jesus when we all keep Him waiting for us to not only acknowledge Him but also follow Him and let Him enter our Hearts, Minds, and Soul. Jesus will wait for us. 

     It was just a simple statement/question that was asked. I do not believe that she thought it would still be on my mind days later or caused me to stop and think about it as I walked back to my seat. Yet, her words causes me a comfort that I know now how much that wait for Jesus was well worth it. That for me a man who turned from Jesus and sinned over and over is still able to receive Him without Him saying to me I need to wait till He is now ready.  Those moments that we encounter Jesus are always worth the wait. 

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and ask yourself “Was it worth the wait?’.......

No comments:

Post a Comment