Sunday, July 7, 2013

Doubting

Doubting

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” ~ John 20:24-28


    On July 3rd we celebrated the Feast of St. Thomas the apostle. He is best known as “Doubting Thomas”. Thomas had to see Jesus for himself for him to believe that Jesus was risen from the dead. Then when he saw Jesus, he called out “ My Lord and my God” (John 20:28).  Are you or were a “Doubting Thomas”? There is more to it then just not believing in Jesus or not believing in the power of Jesus. There are other elements that makes many of us doubt at times. I know for myself there have been clear times where I doubted Jesus in my life, not the existence of Jesus but the power of Him. 

     When we think of Thomas we think of the man who had “to see to believe”. That even though others gave witness to the risen Lord it just was not good enough for him. He had to see Jesus for himself. This is not the case for many of us today. We do not have to see Jesus to believe in Him but to what extent do we believe? Do you believe that Jesus is present when two or more are gathered in His name? Do you believe that Jesus is in the most Holy Eucharist in His whole Body and Blood? If we truly believe this then we must enter into communion with Jesus with the right mindset, open heart and pure of soul.  That as we prepare ourself to enter into that communion we are showing the depth of our belief in Jesus’ presence. 

     Where I feel that a lot of the areas of doubt of Jesus is where we do not put the trust and turns things over to Jesus. I know this is a great area for myself. When we keep those things that bother us, hurt us, or try and control we are, to a degree, having doubts about what Jesus can do with them and what He can do through us with those problems. When we do not turn and offer them to Jesus we are saying that we doubt that He can help us or take those things from us. We need to pray to Jesus and ask for His guidance and intercession for us in the life. Sometimes we keep areas of our lives from Jesus and do not allow Him to enter into our lives fully. In this action we again place doubt that Jesus will understand or heal those areas of our lives. To allow Jesus to fully enter our lives and allow Him to heal and guide us, shows the unyielding trust and love we have for Jesus. When we enter the confessional are we open or speak in generalities? Are we exposing ourselves so that Jesus can enter and forgive all areas of our lives? If we are not then we are doubting His unconditional forgiveness. To be a “Doubting Thomas” does not just mean you do not believe in Jesus but it can be those doubts of His unconditional forgiveness, the power of His healing, the unyielding love for you, and the caring of our decisions of our life.

    The great thing about Thomas was that once he saw Jesus, He called out to Him and declared Jesus, “My Lord and My God”. We can do that when we shed those doubts and declare that Jesus is “ My Lord and My God”. Jesus wants to hear those five words. When we say them we are casting our doubts into the depths of the oceans so we are able to rise and proclaim all that Jesus has done for us, in us and through us. Our faith will grow deeper each and every time we cry out those words to Jesus. 

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and may those chains doubt be cast off and then be able to cry out “ My Lord and My God”. 


No comments:

Post a Comment