Thursday, September 27, 2012

Calling in Back Up

Calling in Back Up


 When we pray we are lucky to be able to call in for back up. What I mean is that we have the Saints to call upon to help with our prayers. You name it and there is a patron Saint that goes along with it. It is a great advantage we get. It is like having a second prayer defense team waiting to be called in. 

   Some people do not understand why we may pray to the saints and feel that we are worshiping them like we do God or Jesus. The best way to explain this is as you would ask a friend to say a prayer for you, it is the same with the saint. We are in communion with the saints just as we are with those here on earth. It is part of our community of believers. The heavenly community that waits to intercede for us. 

    People may wonder is there a point to ask or pray to the Saints for there help. I think we need to remember who the Queen of the Saints is, Mary , mother of Jesus. If your mother asks you to do something you tend to do it. It is not a bad idea to ask Mary to intercede for us as well of those who She is Queen over. If you are not sure about praying to the saints or uncomfortable with the idea of it, think of it as talking to one of your friends and they are offering their prayers for you. Think of it as talking to the saints. Also here is another way to look at it. What would it hurt to ask for them to intercede for you? There is nothing to loose, only to gain. 

     Now you have to start by finding out about the Saints. You may already know of some. The best thing to do is check out who they were and what they are the patron saint of. The saints lives can help in guiding us how we are to live here on earth. That here are people that have done extraordinary things , not because of themselves, but because of God. It would be good to see what their lives were also because they were just ordinary people that had the grace of God poured upon them. They answered His call to holiness and followed His word. 

      It gives me comfort to know that even though I have sinned, walked away and came back, denied what I knew, that there are Saints that understand that part of life. All the Saints did not lead perfect lives before they came to know God’s call. They were just as you and I, sinners. I know I will never be a saint but I know that I want to strive to live like they did. With their help and God’s grace I know we all have that chance. 

     I am thinking that in addition to the blog I may have a saint of the week for us to learn about. It will be a learning process for me as well, since I only really know of the main saints. I am willing to learn and I hope and pray that you will also. 

Until tomorrow, God Bless, and ask our community in heaven, the Saints, for prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment